Monday, April 27, 2009

Sensible girl

I'm not just a girl; I am the most cliche, blubbering, textbook example of a girl there is. My mannerisms, style and interests belie any belief I have that women are just as capable of wearing the pants as men are; my unquenchable quest for beauty in every moment betrays the journalistic rationality I so thoroughly steeped myself in during college.

This girly-girl mentality goes a long way in explaining my undying love for period pieces and the decadent lives they portray. I've always been a bit of a traitor to my generation, emotionally and sartorially speaking. I'd rather spend my days languishing underneath an enormous willow tree reading trite poetry while daydreaming about the man of my dreams than type worthless words on a computer screen, but alas, I am not Jane Austen. I only wish I was.

During a routine home screening of Ang Lee's Sense & Sensibility -- to this day one of my all-time-favorite cinematic offerings -- I began crafting a collection of tiny hats that I have lovingly dubbed "19th century cottage couture." Though my colors are certainly brighter and lighter (keeping with that soft focus, pretty pastel look I'm obsessed with right now) than what Lee used in his classic Austen adaptation, there is definitely an air of antiquated sophistication to these hats that has yet to be seen in my other work. Subtle touches here and there recall specific pieces from the movie; the ebony plumes on my black and cream pillbox echo those on Lucy Steele's onyx chapeau. The sheer striped linen, soft lace and floral accents featured elsewhere echo the overall mood of this gauzy, ethereal film, one that continues to provide me with fresh inspiration in varying forms every single time I see it. Needless to say, I'm super pleased with the results of my new collection, and I have the Dashwoods to the thank for that.

Please keep an eye out for these new looks at Clove Salon Gallery & Boutique in Midtown Atlanta, where these and other selections are now on sale! More where that came from will, of course, be available at I.C.E. May 30-31.

all in a row


xoxo
Amy

1 comment: